India launches new visa rules to boost tourism
Visitors from 43 countries no longer have to queue up at local consulates, but can instead apply for their visas online and collect them at airports.
The country received 6.58 million tourists in 2012, far fewer than Asian countries like Thailand and Malaysia.
Tourism Minister Mahesh Sharma said the change would be a boost to the industry.
The scheme was "a dream come true for the entire tourism industry of India and is bound to positively impact the economy," he said in a statement.
"The government's objective is to boost tourism and this scheme's implementation will send out a clear message that India is serious about making travel to the country easy."
India previously offered visas-on-arrival to visitors from only 12 countries.
Most other foreigners had to wait several weeks before learning whether they would be allowed to enter India after submitting their applications at visa processing centres.
The new visa-on-arrival will be available at nine major airports in India.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi's BJP government has pledged to boost tourism since his party won a landslide election victory earlier this year.
- BEST DEAL for 2017 holiday trip
- Big SALE on Black Friday – 17 Nov, 2017
- Great Discount for Halloween – Oct 31, 2017
- India e-Visa Information
- Extension of e-Tourist Visa scheme to 37 more countries from 26 th February 2016
- Indian government extends e-tourist visa for 36 more countries
- Where to go in India
- Indian Cuisines
- Holidays in India in 2015
- Things to know before visiting India
- Overview about India
- India Changes Name of Visa on Arrival to e-Visa
- 10 Top Tourist Attractions in India
- Weather in India
HOW CAN WE HELP?
This is a commercial website helps you get eVisa to India. To book an evisa by using our service, you will be charged a service fee for providing consultancy, submitting applications and informing the visa status and results. You can have a lower fee when applying directly on Indian Government Website or at Indian Missions in your country; however, no refund in the case your application is declined. If prefer a non-guided service, you can visit the Indian Government.
APPLY WITH CONFIDENCE
- Safety, Fastest, Reliable, Save Time.
- Secure Online Payment.
- 3 Working Days Guarantee.
- No Hidden Fees and No Traps.
- Money Back Guarantee if Declined.